2.12.17

Forage & Chatter: A Can't-Miss Culinary Highlight in Edinburgh

Memorable meals come in all shapes, sizes, and forms. We might remember a meal fondly because of the people we shared it with or the events we were celebrating. But having an unforgettable meal based solely on the excellence of the food? Those ones are a bit more rare.

Last week, I had the pleasure of having a meal that I'll truly never forget thanks to Forage & Chatter.



Forage & Chatter is a gem of a restaurant- that is, if you can find it. Tucked away in the corner of Alva Street, you'll find dazzling fairy lights lining your path to this subterranean treasure. Having braced the bitter cold on the walk over, we were pleased to be greeted by warm heating (a luxury in my student flat) and an even warmer reception by the restaurant's host.

Forage & Chatter is practically a labyrinth on the inside- seemingly small but sprawling with intimate nooks and crannies of seating. The decor feels at once tastefully organic and effortlessly luxurious. Pulling from nature with earthy tones, the space gives a hint of the meal to come. If you haven't guessed yet, Forage & Chatter prides itself on maintaining a purely local menu. With an aim to source their ingredients from within a 25-mile radius of Edinburgh, you're guaranteed a foraged and fresh meal.


We settled into our table, set in what seems like an indoor-courtyard perched above the rest of the restaurant. Ben noticed the simple, yet thoughtful, touch of the plant-pots used as lampshades, while I admired the potted herbs on the table in place of flowers: it really is all in the details.

The attentive waitstaff were bright and cheerful, without being overbearing, and made us feel at ease from the moment we sat down. We ordered a bottle of South African red to share and got stuck in to the concise, but carefully crafted menu. Despite only have a few dishes to choose from in each course, we still had trouble deciding! We agreed to both go meaty on our starters and mains, fighting over who could start with the pig's cheek (I won).


But before I could tuck into the much-discussed pig's cheek, we were presented with some carby-goodness to start us off. These heavenly, pillowy balls of perfectly fried dough are called Vetkoek, a traditional South African bread that I never knew I desperately needed in my life until that moment. Served with earthy pesto and light-as-air whipped butter, these delightful little bites achieved the perfect balance of salty and sweet. Believe me- I could wax poetic about this bread alone.


Arriving next were our starters. The presentation of the dishes here is truly immaculate. Great care is taken to ensure that each element is perfectly placed and purposeful. The slow-cooked pig's cheek was succulent and tender, with a hint of caramelization that was a real treat when accompanied by the creamy celeriac puree. Bits of crackling were scattered on top of the meat, adding just a hint of texture. While I ate the garnish of apple and radish separate from the pig's cheek, it served as a fresh and crunchy take on the classic pork and apple combo.


Liver parfait (or any meat parfait, for that matter) is not really up my alley. But for Ben, it proved to be the perfect starter. These luxurious spoonfuls were salty and creamy, offset by the slightly sweet crunch of the toasted oat on top. I was surprised when I had a taste and continued to scrape the plate for more. Our only criticism was the lack of bread crisps on the side for the amount of parfait (though I find this is always the issue with parfaits and pates alike!).


From meaty starters to even more meaty mains, we braced ourselves for the next round of dishes, swigging the red wine a bit too enthusiastically (it was a Friday night, after all). For my main, I was excited at the prospect of having game meat. It always feels like I'm really treating myself when I do. This dish was certainly a sight for sore eyes- the gorgeous, tender meat was the star of the dish. Served with seasonal root vegetables and a rich gravy, I couldn't fault a single thing on the plate.


Ben's sirloin steak was perhaps a bit heartier in its presentation, but elegant nonetheless. A real rare-meat guy, Ben was a bit jealous that my deer seemed a bit less done than his steak, but the flavor- and finesse- were certainly there. The hash of potatoes, root veg, and bacon on the side was a standout and accompanied by buttery cabbage, proved to be a true winter warmer.


The good thing about the careful portions of the starter and main meant we had ample room to indulge in dessert. There was no doubt in my mind that the desserts would be just as fantastic as the rest of the meal would be. The second I saw the milk chocolate ganache on the menu, I knew I had to have it. The chocolate craving was real. Served with a pear puree and sorbet, the mild fruit flavors complemented the decadent chocolate seamlessly.


For dessert, Ben went with a wildcard of a dish. Even after the waitress kindly explained it to us, we still weren't sure what we were in for. But who doesn't love surprises? Ben's dessert ended up being primarily a refreshing, citrusy mousse with tiny slices of carrot cake dotted about. It was just as unique as we expected it to be.     


From start to finish, Forage & Chatter demonstrated it's culinary prowess and delivered unexpected delights with each dish. Despite being one of the top-rated restaurants in all of Edinburgh, when you have a meal here, you feel like you're in on a secret. At Forage & Chatter, you're guaranteed to be treated to five-star food, without the stuffy setting. Even though the jig might be up (thanks, Tripadvisor), this spot is certainly one to watch.

I won this meal for two in a competition- all view are entirely my own. Thank you to Forage & Chatter for hosting me! If you'd like to learn more about Forage & Chatter you can get more info and view their menus on their website

1 comment:

  1. Sounds absolutely fantastic! I'll need to check it out when I'm back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS