20.7.15

The Scottish Tag

Last week, Hayley of the blog Water Painted Dreams mentioned me in her "Scottish Tag" post in which she answered a bunch of questions about the lovely land of the Scots. She asked anyone who is either Scottish or lives in Scotland to do the same, so of course I jumped at the chance to talk a little bit (okay, a lot) about one of my favorite countries.

A little disclaimer before I begin: in case you didn't already know, I'm pretty sure I don't have a Scottish bone in my body. Irish, yes. But am I Scottish? Well, I can try my best to pretend to be! So, because of my lack of Scottish heritage, I skipped over a few question's in Hayley's original post since they didn't really apply. Still, here are my answers to some fun questions about my second home- Scotland.


Where is your favorite place that you've been to in Scotland? 

Confession: I haven't done nearly as much traveling throughout Scotland (and the UK in general!) as I should have. Embarrassingly enough, I haven't even been to Glasgow yet! However, out of the very few places I've visited in Scotland, I really enjoyed a small day-trip that I took with a few of my teammates to Deep Sea World and the Forth Bridge in South Queensferry. My expectations for what the town would look like were practically nonexistent- but much to my surprise the whole area was absolutely gorgeous! The red bridge is stunning in and of itself, but the surrounding flower-covered hills really took the cake- and they provided us with the most incredible views of the area.



Where would you like to visit in Scotland? 

The many different isles in Scotland have always been intriguing to me, so I'd have to say that Isle of Skye would be my first choice if I could travel anywhere in Scotland. The island, located in the Northwest of Scotland, is said to look as if it's straight out of a fairytale. The natural beauty of Scotland is second to none, so I'd love to take advantage of that and travel to as many places as possible while I can.


How breathtaking are the fairy pools at Skye? [Image Credit]

What is your favorite Scottish film? 

Brave. Hands down. I mean, it's Pixar, so what's not to love? Merida is totally fierce and knows exactly what she wants- she really stands out when it comes to Disney Princesses. And her hair? While I'm not a ginger, I can totally relate to that curly-frizzy mane of hers. I also love that it focuses on the relationship between Merida and her mother since my mom and I are so close as well. True story: I saw Brave in theaters with my friend who also ended up going to Edinburgh Uni way before we even had Scotland on our minds for school!


Me when it's humid out.

 What is your favorite Scottish food? 

I'm not afraid to admit that I actually enjoy haggis. There's such a stigma around it because of what its "questionable" contents (the liver, heart, and lungs of a sheep), but it honestly tastes pretty good! Kind of like spicy ground beef. It's even better fried. Trust me. Also, can we talk about how strange Irn Bru is? Personally, I think it tastes like fizzy bubblegum soda, but none of my Scottish friends seem to see it my way.


Casual haggis snapchat.

Do you follow any Scottish traditions? 

Even though I'm not at all Scottish, I'd just like to point out that my most favorite Scottish tradition has to be Ceilidh Dancing! I'll do it any chance I get. There's nothing like being swung around by a random guy (or girl!) after a few drinks. Instant friendship.

What is your favorite Scottish word?

Scottish slang is just downright wonderful- as long as not every word you use is a Scottish word! My most favorite words have to be "wee" (because I'm "wee," of course!), "bonny" (because what girl doesn't like being called beautiful?) and anything that ends in "nae" ("cannae" and "dinnae" mean "can't" and "don't" if you can believe it). I honestly don't use a lot of Scottish or British words- even when I'm at school. You'll more likely hear me emphasizing my American slang while in Scotland because I think it makes me stand out a wee bit ;)

What is your favorite Scottish song? 

Is it a total cop-out to say "500 Miles (Gonna Be)" by the Proclaimers? Because that's my jam. In fact (here's a really nerdy story for you), I used that song at the end of the Powerpoint presentation I made to announce to my parents where I wanted to go to University- and of course they loved it. "500 Miles" also always reminds me of this brilliant scene in How I Met Your Mother where Ted and Marshall's car has a tape stuck in it that only plays that song.


Can you recommend any Scottish bloggers? 

First off, there's obviously Hayley from Water Painted Dreams who mentioned me in her "Scottish Tag" post and is one of the most fabulous Scottish bloggers out there. She runs a very successful lifestyle and book blog, studies chemistry at Edinburgh Uni, and even crochets the most adorable little elephants! You should give her a follow on Instagram and Twitter too, while you're at it. A few other Scottish bloggers I follow are Ever So Juliet and Edinburgh Etiquette. They're all definitely worth having a read. If you know of any other interesting Scottish bloggers, let me know in the comments!

So that's that for questions about Scotland. If you are Scottish or live in Scotland I challenge you to answer these questions as well- either in the comments or in your own post! 




2 comments:

  1. I like haggis too. And I agree with you on Irn Bru. So sickly sweet. I've never tried Ceilidh dancing (I don't even know where to start on pronouncing it) but my sis-in-law loved it when she was visiting Edinburgh earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Irn bru must be an acquired taste- hah! Ceilidh dancing honestly isn't nearly as hard to do as it is to pronounce ;) I'd highly recommend it if you ever get the chance! Thanks for the comment x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS