11.5.15

5 Things That Surprised Me About University

It's official: I've survived my first year of University! Sitting in my almost completely packed-up bedroom, staring at the blank walls that once were full of pictures of family and friends, I can't believe how quickly this past year has gone by. It feels like it was just yesterday that I had step foot into a country that I had never been to before- feeling excited, hopeful, and sick to my stomach at the same time.

Coming to Edinburgh in September, I didn't know if I was going to be able to stick it out- my life was about to completely change, and I wasn't sure I was prepared to live 3,000 miles away from home for the next four years. But now I can safely say that Edinburgh feels like exactly where I'm supposed to be. And I'd be lying if I said wasn't sad to be leaving this wonderful city for four months.



The truth is, University isn't always exactly what you expect it to be. It's full of surprises, and that's what makes it so exciting! Here are a few things that surprised me throughout this year:

How little I would miss home // I consider myself a very sensitive, touchy-feely person (case in point: I absolutely bawled my eyes out while watching the New Girl season finale this week). But it really surprised me how un-emotional I was about being away from home. Of course, I missed Boston and my family to some extent, and I still feel really excited when I do travel home, but I wasn't as homesick as I originally thought I would be.


  
How hilly running would be // You haven't seen a real hill until you've been to Scotland. During the first month of uni, I somehow managed to convince myself that going on a run in the Pentlands with the team would be a good idea. Oh, how naive I was. Little did I know that I had just signed myself up for about nine miles of going up and down massive hills. Even though I struggled, it made every hill I ran up after that seem a lot less difficult.


 How much money I would spend // I honestly didn't think I would be spending tons of money while living in Edinburgh- I mean this isn't London or New York City. But all those Sainsbury's meal deals, coffee pick-me-ups, and vodka lemonades do add up.

How beautiful Scotland would be // Edinburgh has to be one of the most under-ratedly beautiful cities in the world. And I stand by that. Not only does it have the undeniable charm of an old city- with its stone buildings and gothic monuments- but it also possesses some of the most breathtaking views in the world. Even if you go outside the city, Scotland as a whole sets the bar pretty high when it comes to looking gorgeous on the reg.



How many uniquely amazing friends I would make // I'm definitely not one to stick to a single social group- and I'm so grateful for all the friends that I've made in different parts of my life. From my friends in halls, to my teammates in running club, to the girls I met in choir, each group of friends I made meant a lot to me this year.



My first year was full of surprises, and while I kind of know what to expect next year, I definitely think I'll have a few curveballs thrown at me along the way. But isn't that what makes it all the more fun?

P.S.

Don't worry- I'll still be blogging every Monday this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS